If you have been injured in an auto accident, The Lackey Law Firm can guide you to recovery.¬†Victims of car wrecks need immediate legal advice and we are here to help.¬†Gary Lackey and Justin Lackey will evaluate your case and fight aggressively for you if we can assist.¬†Please call us at (256) 259-3929 for your free consultation.
Oftentimes people do not know how to proceed when they are involved in a wreck that causes property damage, injury, or death.¬†This list probably cannot answer all of your questions but we hope it will be helpful in guiding you if you were injured or had a loved one die in a car wreck.
- What if I did not have auto insurance?
Even if you did not have insurance, if there were other cars involved, there is a chance we can recover money for you.¬†The only way to know is to let a lawyer evaluate your case.¬†If you had an injury or property damage in a car wreck but had no auto insurance, let us look at the case to see if there are other sources of recovery.
- What if the at-fault driver did not have insurance?
If you had an auto accident caused by another driver who had no insurance, there is still hope! We can often recover money for you even if the driver who caused the crash had no coverage.¬†We also may be able to recover from insurance policies on vehicles that were not involved directly in the wreck.¬†Call us today at (256) 259-3929.
- What if my health insurance has covered all of my medical bills and my car was repaired by the insurance company?
You may still be able to recover money from your car crash, even if your medical bills have been paid and your car is already repaired.¬†We are able to help clients recover money for lost wages, pain, suffering, and other damages in many situations.
- Should I sign anything for the insurance company after my wreck?
Let us evaluate your case first.¬†Before you agree to settle or sign anything following a car wreck, you should seek legal counsel.¬†We can help you make the right decision and will give you our honest advice about whatever offer you have been given.¬†If you are in doubt at all, call The Lackey Law Firm.
- My injuries were bad, but I have no health insurance.¬†What should I do?All the more reason to seek our advice.¬†It will never cost you anything to have the first consultation with us, and we may be able to help wreck victims who have injuries but no health insurance.
- I am not sure I can afford a lawyer.¬†Can you help?
Yes.¬†If you were injured in a car wreck and we accept your case, you will not have to pay attorney‚Äôs fees to us unless we are able to get money for you.¬†Even if we cannot help you, the initial consultation is always free, no matter what kind of case you have.
When someone is injured due to the negligence or carelessness of another, it can be a difficult road to recovery.¬†Often people are unsure of their rights and are unsure of whether there is anything that can be done to assist with medical bills, lost wages, and other damages.¬†The Lackey Law Firm is here to guide you through the legal process.
Many times there are legal remedies that can be used to obtain financial relief for injured clients.¬†Whether you fell in a store, were injured by a defective product or medicine, or were hurt in some other way, we may be able to help.¬†A consultation is free and if we take your case, you will not pay us anything unless we recover money for you!
18 Wheeler Wrecks
Truck crashes are very different than crashes involving only normal sized automobiles.¬†Because of factors like vehicle size and longer stopping distances, truck wrecks often result in serious injury or death.¬†Whether you were hit by a truck in Huntsville, Alabama, a rural highway, or anywhere else, we can help.
Quick legal action is vitally important if you were hit by a truck.¬†Insurance companies race to investigate these 18 wheeler wrecks and you need someone doing the same for you.¬†Issues such as driver fatigue, improper or neglected maintenance, drug use, excessive speed, and bad driving records are things that we can uncover for your benefit if you are the victim of a truck wreck in North Alabama. Let our attorneys begin working on your case today.¬†Whether you were injured or a loved one was killed, we can help.¬†From Scottsboro, to Huntsville, to Decatur, call us today for a free consultation at 256-259-3929.
If your loved one was killed because of the negligence, recklessness, or intentional act of someone else or a company or driver, you may be able to recover punitive damages.¬†A wrongful death claim is typically filed by the personal representative of a deceased person.¬†We can do all the legal legwork for you, so you do not have to worry about legal issues in your time of mourning.
Because of the nature of these cases, the sooner you can seek legal counsel, the better your case will be.¬†It is important that the investigation begin as soon as possible, because evidence may be concealed, lost, or otherwise destroyed causing the trail to grow cold.¬†Call us today for a free consultation and let us begin investigating and fighting for you‚Ä¶256-259-3929.
DUI & Traffic
If you have been charged with driving under the influence (DUI) or any other traffic violation, a lawyer can help you avoid a conviction in many cases.¬†Convictions may affect your insurance rates and can result in the suspension of your driver‚Äôs license.¬†We are proud to guide many people through the legal maze of traffic courts and can often save our clients from suffering a suspension of their driver‚Äôs license.
If you receive a DUI it is important to seek legal counsel quickly. You have important rights which we can assert and if you do not act quickly those rights may be lost.¬†Below is a list of frequently asked questions regarding DUI and traffic tickets.¬†This list does not cover every situation and every case is different.¬†Call 256-259-3929 to set up a free in-office consultation today.
- What if I am guilty?You should consult a lawyer even if you know you are guilty of the offense you were charged with.¬†We can negotiate favorable outcomes for clients often, even when the client is clearly guilty.¬†There are many technical rules that must be followed by law enforcement officers when you are arrested for DUI or given a ticket.¬†A lawyer can often find ‚Äúhelpful problems‚ÄĚ with cases even when the client feels hopeless.
- Is it pointless to hire a lawyer for a speeding ticket?No! It is important that you consult a lawyer for any traffic violation in order to know the ramifications of your ticket and what rights you might be able to assert in your defense.¬†We can provide help to you, even if you were only charged with speeding or some other minor offense.
- If I took the breath test and failed, can you still help?Yes.¬†We often obtain a favorable result or reduced penalties for DUI clients, even if you have taken the breath test and blown an amount greater than .08%.¬†Let us examine your case and fight for you.
- Can I be charged with DUI on private property?In the State of Alabama you can be lawfully charged with DUI on private property and even on your own land.¬†If you have been charged with a DUI on private property we can help you fight the charge.
Being charged with a crime is always a bad experience, no matter the circumstances. An experienced criminal defense attorney is essential to prevent such a bad situation from growing much worse. One of the focuses of our practice at The Lackey Law Firm is easing the worry brought on by an arrest by providing each and every client with as strong a defense as possible.
If you have been arrested you probably have thought of many questions which you need answered. It is doubtful that the questions and answers below will tell you all you need to know, but it is a intended as a guide to cover a few initial questions. Please call us at (256) 259-3929 for a free in-office consultation to learn more about how we can fight for you.
- What is a preliminary hearing?
A preliminary hearing is a court hearing before a district judge which is held only in felony cases. A written request for such a hearing must be made within 30 days of the initial arrest, or the right is lost. Because of this, it is vital that you seek legal representation as soon as possible when charged with a felony. This hearing may be your only opportunity to question witnesses in your case prior to trial.
- What is the difference between a felony and a misdemeanor?
A felony is generally considered a much more serious crime than a misdemeanor and carries heavier punishment. There are different classes of felonies and misdemeanors in Alabama depending upon the severity of the offense a person is charged with. Class A offenses are the most serious while class C offenses are least serious in general. Misdemeanors carry a possible jail sentence of 12 months or less along with possible monetary fines and other penalties. Felony sentences in Alabama range in time from 1 year and 1 day up to life in prison. The death penalty is also still a possibility in Alabama. Felonies may also carry monetary fines or other penalties.
- Should I give a statement to the police if I may be suspected of a crime?When asked, we generally advise our clients to NOT give a statement to police or investigators if suspected of a crime, without consulting with us about their rights first. If you have been arrested or believe you are suspected, you may need legal advice and we recommend that let us evaluate your situation.
- Can you keep me out of jail?Usually yes. Our goal is to always obtain the least restrictive outcome possible for every client charged with a crime. The first step in that process is attempting to get the charges dropped or get an acquittal. The second step, if the first step cannot be achieved, is to prevent jail or prison time for our clients. Every case and client is different and many factors can affect your individual case, including criminal history, severity of the crime, the amount of evidence against you, and more. There are no guarantees in criminal defense, other than that we will fight our hardest for you. No lawyer should ever promise a client they will not spend any time in jail.
Divorce, Custody and Child Support
When someone is faced with the difficult situation of Divorce, Custody or Child Support problems, an understanding and aggressive lawyer is important.¬†Oftentimes our clients have a few basic questions that they need answered to know which direction they need to go.¬†We have compiled a short list of information which may help you know what you need to do in your case.¬†Remember that you can always schedule a free consultation on these issues by calling us today at (256) 259-3929.
- What are the different types of divorce?
There are two types of divorce in Alabama, uncontested and contested.
- What is an uncontested divorce?
An uncontested divorce is a divorce wherein the parties have reached an agreement to settle on all issues.¬†When our client and their spouse have reached such an agreement and settled all the issues of the end of their marriage, we can perform an uncontested divorce.¬†This type of divorce is much faster and easier than a contested divorce.¬†We can usually have the paperwork ready to be signed and filed within a few days.
- What is a contested divorce?
A contested divorce is a divorce wherein a settlement agreement cannot be reached between the parties.¬†In order to undertake a contested divorce we draft a summons and complaint for our client and file it with the office of the Circuit Clerk.¬†A copy of the complaint will be served upon the spouse and they will have 30 days to file answer.¬†If a contested divorce is not settled a Circuit Judge will eventually hear the case and decide the issues after a trial.¬†Contested divorces may take much longer than uncontested divorces, but do not always result in a trial.
- Does ‚Äúcommon law marriage‚ÄĚ exist?
Yes.¬†Common law marriages still exist in Alabama.¬†There are many myths about what creates a common law marriage and whether or not such a marriage requires a divorce.¬†If you believe you may be in such a marriage and in need of a divorce, please contact us for further evaluation of your individual case.¬†You may have important legal rights which we can protect.
- How much child support will I pay/receive?
Child support amounts in Alabama are based upon guidelines.¬†Using a set list of factors including wages of each parent, health insurance cost, and child care costs child support obligations are calculated within the guidelines.¬†If you are involved in a situation in which child support is an issue, let us evaluate your case and provide more information.
- Does a father ever have a chance to obtain custody?
The short answer to this question is yes.¬†However, each case is different and many variations can affect your chance at getting custody of your child regardless of your gender.¬†An in-office consultation is the best way for us to evaluate your case.
- What if I am a victim of spousal abuse?
If you are a victim of domestic violence in your marriage, we can assist you.¬†There are legal processes which can be undertaken before a divorce to obtain a restraining order known as a Protection Order or PFA.¬†If you are in immediate danger or fear of abuse, you should always contact the police first.
- Does joint custody exist?
Yes.¬†Joint custody can mean many different things, so it is important to obtain the advice of a lawyer on this subject.¬†Whether you are considering ‚Äújoint legal custody‚ÄĚ or ‚Äújoint physical custody‚ÄĚ, there are legal rights that may be at stake.
We can service all of your estate and estate planning needs, whether you need a new will or deed, need to open an estate for a loved one, or need assistance probating a will. We also do conservatorships and guardianships if you have a loved one who has become unable to take care of their business and personal needs.
Having seen many families divided and quarreling over property of a loved one, we can say that EVERYONE should have a will, no matter how small the estate. Wills are easily made and we offer very inexpensive rates for our drafting services. If you have estate questions of any kind or need a new will, contact us at (256) 259-3929.
Real Estate & Civil Law
The Lackey Law Firm provides full civil litigation services from pre-suit negotiations, through mediations and trials, to appellate work.¬†We also handle arbitrations.¬†If you have a business, health care law, or other civil matter which must be litigated, allow us to evaluate your case.
Whether you need someone to advocate your position as a plaintiff or zealously defend you we are there to help.¬†Our litigation services are affordable and we are client-oriented to ensure you the best chance possible of meeting your goals through the legal process.
Boundary line and property disputes are often the most contentious cases we handle.¬†Such disputes often involve the family farm, the home place, or property that is particularly special to our clients.¬†At other times, the dispute arises because an agitated neighbor has ‚Äúcrossed the line‚ÄĚ or for other reasons.
We have focused on the area of boundary line and property disputes for many years and have successfully litigated numerous cases to a favorable conclusion.¬†The types of cases we are interested in include timber theft, boundary line disputes, adverse possession, flooding issues caused by adjoining owners, trespassing, and more.¬†If you believe you need legal assistance with a property dispute of any kind, contact our experienced lawyers at 256-259-3929 for a free consultation